CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 is a medium density, Wet Mix Spray-Applied Fire Resistive Material (SFRM), designed to provide fire protection for structural steel where higher levels of physical abuse or traffic may be anticipated.
CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 is a Portland cement based formulation which provides protection in virtually any environment where a medium density material is specified.
The thermal performance advantages of CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 result in reduced installed costs and provide industry leading physical performance and application efficiencies that are unsurpassed.
- Meets or exceeds all major fire protection specifications for Commercial Structures including ANSI/UL263, ASTM E119, CAN/ ULC-S101.
- Designed to provide an efficient solution to achieve bond strengths in excess of 430 psf (20.6 kpa), thus meeting the requirements of the current International Building Code (IBC) for buildings 75’ to 420’ feet (23 to 128 meters) tall.
- Provides up to 4 hour fire resistance ratings.
- Offers LEED building credits for recycled content.
- Offers the best fire resistance performance per unit thickness of any Medium Density Wet mix SFRM.
- Exceptional adhesion properties ensure long term performance in environments where limited abuse and aesthetic exposure is anticipated.
- The Portland cement- based formulation has proven its durability through the harshest of tests including blast overpressures of up to 1.88 atmospheres (2 bar) and subsequent fire exposure tests.
- Worldwide manufacturing facilities ensure timely availability.
Provides up to 4 hours rating on structural steel columns, beams, joists, trusses, floor and roof deck assemblies in commercial construction. Designed for use to exceed the 430 psf (20.6 kpa) requirement for high rise construction.
The durable surface and Portland cement based formulation of the product make it well suited for application in areas which may be subjected to high levels of abuse and such as mechanical rooms, perimeter steel structures, and parking garages.
Fire Tests & Approvals
In order to meet the performance and durability criteria set forth by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and other major industry specifying organizations, CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 has undergone the most rigorous testing in accordance with the world’s most demanding safety protocols.
This cellulosic fire test is traditionally used to evaluate materials for use in the protection of modern day commercial structures. This test reaches 1000°F (537°C) after 5 minutes and gradually reaches a temperature of 2000°F (1093°C) after a period of 4 hours.
CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 is classified by Underwriters Laboratories for up to 4 hours protection in accordance with the cellulosic fire test and is listed within various UL Designs.
The UL Classification Mark indicates compliance with global requirements as it relates to a specific risk or casualty. With the Classification service, UL determines that a manufacturer has demonstrated the ability to produce a product complying with UL’s requirements with respect to one or more of the following:
- Specific risk, e.g., casualty, fire, etc.
Performance under specific conditions
- Compliance with regulatory codes
- Compliance with specific standards such as international standards
- Other condition, as determined by UL
All of the products carrying a UL Classification Mark are covered by UL’s Follow-Up Services program to verify that products carrying the UL Classification Mark continue to be manufactured in compliance with UL’s safety requirements.
CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 is a Factory Mutual (FM) approved product.
To determine the ability of fire protection materials to withstand a blast or explosion, a series of blast overpressure tests, followed by a hydrocarbon fire test is essential in order to determine the durability of the material. These tests are carried out by means of applying the fire resistive material to steel members and subjecting them to blast overpressure testing directly followed by a hydrocarbon fire test.
Isolatek International subjected CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 to this test at Advantica Spadeadam Test Facility in the UK. The tests were independently witnessed by Lloyd’s Register of Shipping. Three separate tests were conducted, peaking at 1.88 atmospheres (3928 psf). The specimens survived without any damage. After the tests were complete, the members successfully were subjected to hydrocarbon fire testing.
An MEA Number is the number assigned to a product that has been approved for use in New York City by the MEA Division. CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 has been reviewed and MEA numbers have been assigned.
The MEA division regulates “certain materials and equipment (that) require Department of Buildings acceptance.” These manufactured items affect public safety, health and welfare (including structural stability and fire safety) and are usually a permanent part of a building.
Underwriters Laboratories (UL) has conducted a technical evaluation on CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400. The result of the evaluation process assures that the CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 is in compliance with the International Building Code (IBC).
CAFCO 400 / ISOLATEK Type 400 complies with the requirements of the following specifications:
- MasterSpec®, Section 078100 Applied Fireproofing (AIA)
- MasterFormat® 2014, Section 07 81 00 Applied Fireproofing (CSC,CSI)
- Unified Facilities Guide Specification, UFGS 07 81 00
- Spray-Applied Fireproofing (USACE, NAVFAC, AFCEC, NASA)
- Master Construction Specifications, Number 07 81 00 Applied Fireproofing (VA)
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40 Protection of the Environment (EPA)
- PBS-P100, Facilities Standards for the Public Buildings Services (GSA)
- General Services Administration (GSA): AIA/SC/GSA:07811
- Unified Facilities Guide Specification (UFGS): UFGS – 078100
- Veterans Administration (VA): H-08-1
- U.S. ARMY Corps of Engineers CEGS-07811
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): Regulation 40
Construction Specification Canada (CSC) TEK-AID
|ASTM Physical Performance Standards||Test Performance* Spray-Applied Fire Resistive Materials (SFRMs)|
|Physical Property||ASTM Standard||MasterSpec® Performance Requirements||CAFCO 400 ISOLATEK Type 400|
|Surface Burning Characteristics||ASTM E84||Flame Spread: 10 or less |
Smoke Developed: 0
|Density||ASTM E605||Min 22 pcf (353 kg/m3)||25.3 pcf (405 kg/m3)|
|Cohesion / Adhesion (Bond Strength)||ASTM E736||Min 434 psf (20.6 kPa)||8,556 psf (409.7 kPa)|
|Deflection||ASTM E759||No cracks, spalling, or delamination||No cracks, spalling, or delamination|
|Bond Impact||ASTM E760||No cracks, spalling, or delamination||No cracks, spalling, or delamination|
|Compressive Strength||ASTM E761||Min 7,344 psf (351.7 kPa)||22,112 psf (1,058.7 kPa)|
|Corrosion||ASTM E937||Does not promote corrosion of steel||Does not promote corrosion of steel|
|Air Erosion||ASTM E859||Max. 0.025 g/ft.2||0.000 g/ft.2 (0.000 g/m2)|
|Fungal Resistance||ASTM G21||Zero Growth After 28 days||Zero Growth After 28 days|
|Cone Calorimeter||ASTM E1354||No Flaming or Heat Release||No Flaming or Heat Release|
|Sound Absorption||ASTM C423||0.60 NRC 1/2″ (13 mm) on deck and beam|
|Thermal Properties||ASTM C518||Conductivity[k] – 0.494 BTU in/hr ft2 oF @ 75oF |
(0.0712 W/m•K @ 24oC)Resistance [R/inch]-2.02